It took me a long time to work out exactly what to take with me and what to leave behind. I’m by no means a minimalist, I have a huge wardrobe that’s still full to the brim, I’ve got shoes coming out my ears and enough toiletries to bathe a pamper a small village. For me the idea of living out of a backpack for a year was both daunting and exciting, because it’s so far from what I’m used to, it’s something new and a little challenge for me almost.
I searched endlessly to find the perfect packing list for me, so by the end I decided to combine a few I’d found online, as well as bits I added myself. Because of how much I would have appreciated finding this list when I was packing, I thought I’d share it here for anyone who is about to or thinking about doing a trip similar to mine.
I’ll generally be in hot climates for the whole year, with the exception of a couple months in Australia’s winter (very different from the UK’s winter), so I’ve packed accordingly.
I’ve also split the blog post into a few different sections to make it an easier and more organised read!
- 2 jumpers (for those early mornings, boat rides and buses)
- 2 pairs of long trousers (for the colder times plus all the temples where you’re required to dress modestly!) – I did also fly in a pair of joggers, which I don’t really wear now, but they’re Juicy Couture and therefore will not be getting thrown away!
- 7-9 tops, ranging from big baggy t shirts (4), cropped t shirts(2), vests(1) and one or two nice tops like bandeaus.
- 5 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of cycle shorts (so comfy and versatile) one sport pair, one comfy pair and one denim pair
- 2 skirts, one long for the temples and one short
- 1 dress
- 1 playsuit
- 1 pair of pyjamas
- 8 pairs of underwear
- 5 pairs of socks
- 4 bras
- 1 coat (probably unneeded but it folds down so small and I can squeeze all the air out of it it becomes as flat as a pancake).
I know that this sounds like an awful lot of clothes. But, I like my clothes and feeling nice it what I wear is important to me. I chose all the items I love and will wear all the time; things that will go with everything and anything and stuff that I won’t get bored of.
- Flip flops
- Sport trainers
- Casual trainers
- (I also packed a pair of converse but I want to ditch them, I wish I’d packed a pair or walking sandals Instead)
- Soap (lasts longer and takes up less room than shower gel)
- Moon cup (better than tampons/pads for so many reasons, blog post coming soon)
- Razors (4)
- Hair brush (wet tangle teezer)
- Toothbrush (in a toothbrush holder)
- Toothpaste (4) – I use a special sensitivity one that comes in small tubes
- A pack of hair bobbles
- Facewash (removes my make up as well as washing my face and means I don’t need make up remover)
- Lip balm (2)
- Moisturiser (big tub of astral)
- Basics of make up
- Suncream (2 X factor 30)
- Deodorant (roll on x2)
- Mosquito repellent
- Microfibre towel
- Portable charger
- Go pro and the go pro extras
- First aid kit
- Day bag
- Note pad and pen
- Kindle (better than carrying around books)
- Playing cards
- Ear plugs eye mask and neck pillow
- Travel mat
- Waterproof bag cover
- Bag for dirty washing (I bought an aqua resist bag so that I can put wet things in there too)
I’m pretty sure that’s everything I packed…although there probably is something I’ve forgotten, if that’s the case I’ll come back and add to it.
Best of luck with your packing and happy travelling!
Until next time,